For our fifth anniversary, I finally got around to making our wedding scrapbook. I had a lot of fun going to Michael's and buying craft supplies during post-Christmas sales. I love crafting, and I took advantage of the days before Kayla was born and while I had others in the home to watch Julie. I "gave" it to my husband for our anniversary and told him to pretend that it was the paper anniversary. He in turn bought me a Kindle Paperwhite, joking that he was also honoring the paper-anniversary.
Anyway, I really like my kindle. I love how I can look up words instantly. I love how small and light it is to carry around. I love how easy it is to hold with one hand and how my page doesn't get lost when I have to set it down. These factors make it so much easier to read when I'm nursing, and that is a huge draw for me right now. First I enjoyed Pride & Prejudice on it. Right now I'm reading a Lord Peter mystery.
Since holding it in one hand with ease is key, I don't want a traditional case for it. I don't want the extra flap that you get from the cover. Instead, I sewed a slip-case for it. I used this pattern.
A few small changes:
1) I adjusted the size for a paperwhite. I cut the back to 6 by 10 1/4 and the front to 6 by 8 1/4 inches
2) I made the pocket a bit taller: 6 by 5 1/2 inches
3) I didn't use interfacing in the pocket. Also, I used a complementary piece of fabric rather than the fleece lining. This made the pocket thinner, since I want the whole thing to be as thin as possible.
4) In the 11th step, I re-sewed the fleece lining with a 3/8 inch seam, since once I stuck the lining inside, I found that it bunched up. It needs to be smaller than the outer fabric.
5) She didn't say, as far as I saw, but you really need to trim all your seams tightly so the product is crisp.
A few things I would still do differently if I make it again:
1) I wish I had used thinner interfacing. She didn't specify which she had used, but I wish I had picked up the lighter of the two I was choosing between.
2) I wish I had made the closure flap bigger. I had a feeling I would want it to be longer, and I should have gone with my gut. The directions call for a fold-down at 2 inches. I would make it at least 3, perhaps 3.5 would be ideal. (So you'd add 3.5 inches to the length of the back when cutting). I think a longer flat would lay flat better. As it is, the corners want to fold up, and you really have to pull and push to get the velcro to attach.
3) Oh, and I wish I had done something on the front. Perhaps sewn on a applique bird, or added a monogram.