Sunday, July 24, 2011

jam

This June I went strawberry picking with my sister and nieces and nephews. There is a farm within Prague not too far away. We went on the last day for picking, and the berries were small and many were going bad. I brought home a whole bunch of them, and Garrett helped me lop off their stems and we froze them for smoothies. But a kilo of them I saved to make strawberry jam. I was very excited about this effort, as I've never done it before.
Unfortunately, it was not successful. My sister said that last year their jam was too runny -- more like a sauce. Being careful to avoid this, I overcooked the strawberries. It turned out a bit more like a jar of a gummy bear. We attempted to eat it for a while, finding it was spreadable when heated in the microwave. But, it just didn't taste that great, and I just tossed it. Maybe next year will be better.

No comments: